This pie was absolutely to die for! It tasted so amazing! I found this recipe on Vegalicious.
Recipe For Filling: (I altered it a little bit!)
- 1 vegan pie crust, baked (recipe below)
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1 cup raw cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup soy whipping cream ( I didn’t use the whipping cream and it was still amazing)
Directions for the filling:
- Cut and remove the top leaves from the strawberries.
- If the strawberries are large, cut them I half or quarters.
- Arrange the 1/2 the strawberries in the baked pie shell.
- Cut the other 1/2 up and put in a sauce pan.
- Add the sugar and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the water and add to the cooking strawberry sauce.
- Stir the sauce often, and when it becomes thick and clear, remove from the heat.
- Pour the sauce over the strawberries and place in the refrigerator to chill for several hours or until firm.
- When ready to serve, whip the soy cream or use a can of Soyatoo to decorate the edges of the pie.
- For an easy alternative, if you don’t have so many strawberries, you can also use a cup of strawberry jam, heat it and add the cornstarch as well.
Recipe for Pie Crust
- 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 & 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3-4 Tbs. ice water
- 1 & 1/2 tbs. raw cane sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine (or coconut fat)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- Place 1/2 cup of flour mixture in a small bowl, and stir in water until smooth.
- Cut shortening into remaining flour mixture until it looks like coarse meal.
- This step was very confusing and so my friend and I messed up..I think they are referring to the margarine? But I thought vegan butter was different than shortening….but oh well!
4. Blend in the flour-water mixture. Wrap dough and chill in refrigerator.
5. When the dough has chilled, roll it out on a lightly floured surface.
6. Place the dough in a lightly oiled pie form.
7. Puncture the bottom with a fork in several places to create small air holes for the pie to breathe.
8. Bake in a preheated oven (450F) for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. (Original recipe called for 20 minutes in oven–see note below)
9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before putting the strawberries and sauce in.
Note: I baked the crust for 14 minutes on 450 and checked on it and found that the edges were extremely burnt. So I would check on the crust periodically.